Whether your web form is for customers to sign up for a newsletter, gathering feedback via a survey, or collecting information for a new client project, good web form design is essential to ensuring your clients are engaged and complete the form. Web forms should be like eating a piece of pecan pie: Simple. Easy to swallow. Leaves you feeling satisfied.
Tips to get users to complete your form:
- Use Multi-step forms when there are a lot of fields.
- It is less intimidating to the user
- They are more likely to give out personal info (email, phone, etc…) when it is asked at the last step
- Remove non-essential fields
- Condense to just the absolute necessary fields needed to follow up.
- Give users a reason to complete your form; offer an incentive
- Discount on a product, free info sheet, a new puppy, etc
- Make sure the form is accessible
- Able to navigate with tab keys
- Clearly labeled
- Tooltips on fields that may be confusing
- Use testimonials or social proof near forms
- Use clear call-to-actions
- High contrast buttons
- Large and easy to see
- Use clear validation messages